Are you trying to figure out which type of window covering to install in your new home? Or do you want to upgrade your existing windows and do not know what to introduce as your window cover? You may want to opt for vertical blinds as they are one of the most popular window covers available today. Vertical blinds have earned a place in modern architecture thanks to their outstanding benefits and are slowly becoming a must-have.
But despite the excellent advantages associated with window blinds, one problem users often encounter is deciding the best way to clean them. It is certainly not a very difficult task. However, you can easily damage your vertical blind if you do the maintenance incorrectly.
To avoid losing your precious window covering, this article will show you how to clean and maintain your vertical blinds. But first, let’s consider a few reasons to opt for vertical blinds window covers.
Why Opt for Vertical Blinds
Window blinds are the order of the day now, and you can find them in most modern buildings. But have you ever wondered why most homeowners often prefer this window covering? Here are some of the most significant benefits of vertical blinds.
- They Provide Protection: The first significant benefit of installing blinds in houses is that they can protect you and your lovely home from the extreme effect of outside elements. Vertical blinds can protect you from different types of weather conditions. Whether it’s the summer heat or the chilly winds in winter, window blinds got you covered.
They can also offer excellent protection for your expensive home furnishings. Heat and moisture reduce the lifespan of home furnishings and electronic appliances. In this case, blinds act as a great shield through which you can control the amount of moisture and light that enter your home. Keeping your indoors cool, dry, and comfortable during hot and damp days are their topmost priority.
- They Allow Privacy: Installing blinds in your home can also give you the privacy you want. If you have a large window that allows the inside of your home to be viewed by neighbors, blinds are a great way to cover it up and keep your privacy intact. You can use various kinds of blinds; for example, blinds such as roller blinds can completely hide your space from public view, allowing you to enjoy your private moments without worrying.
There are also Venetian blinds, with slats that can be tilted in any direction to restrict the view inside your house. One good thing about them is that they do not block outside light. So you can get the privacy you want and at the same time keep your room decently illuminated.
- They are Aesthetically Pleasing: Adding to the many benefits of installing blinds in your home, sparking up your space is still an advantage. Blinds can be a great plus to your room with the right color and style. If you want a touch of style and elegance in your home, use blinds that complement the house’s furnishings. Blinds can make a statement when customized to a specific theme. Wooden blinds can add a natural touch and a warm glow to the house, making it appear welcoming and comfortable. Blinds are not only lovely to look at, but they also exhibit your taste in design.
Cleaning Vertical Blinds
Indeed, the reasons why vertical blinds are so popular in homes are pretty obvious. They’re not just durable and functional, but also downright easy on the eyes. But here’s the catch: to keep them in tip-top shape, proper maintenance is key, and that includes regular cleaning. Now, cleaning your vertical blinds may seem like a walk in the park, but trust me, it can quickly turn into a headache if you don’t know what you’re doing.
You need to know when it’s time to give those blinds a good cleaning. And perhaps even more crucially, you need to know how to clean them and which cleaning agents to use. It’s like a delicate dance, you see. Using the wrong materials can spell disaster for your beloved blinds, causing some serious damage. And hey, here’s a secret tip: going overboard with the cleaning can make your vertical blinds fade faster than you can say “interior decor.” We definitely don’t want that!
With the right regular upkeep, you can keep those vertical blinds looking fresh and fabulous for as long as possible, all while rocking their stellar functionality. It’s like hitting two birds with one stone.
How Often Should You Clean Vertical Blinds?
It’s a question that can puzzle even the most experienced blind users. The struggle is real because, believe it or not, cleaning them too much can be just as harmful as not cleaning them at all! It’s a delicate balance.
Giving your blinds a thorough cleaning once a year should do the trick. But let’s not forget about regular cleaning. How frequently you should do it depends on where your blinds are and how often they’re being used. If they’re covering a primary window space, you might want to roll up your sleeves and give them a good cleaning at least once a month.
Regular cleaning isn’t as daunting as it sounds. It won’t eat up your precious time. Think of it as a quick touch-up to keep the surface looking nice. But hold on! While regular cleaning does a decent job of removing surface dirt, it’s not going to banish those stubborn stains entirely. That’s when you need to roll out the big guns and go for a deep cleaning once or twice a year, depending on the factors I mentioned earlier.
How to Clean Vertical Blinds
Regular cleaning only requires wiping with a dry rag to remove surface dust. But deep cleaning, on the other hand, requires much more, as it is aimed at removing every dirt from the blinds. That said, here are the basic steps to deep cleaning your vertical blinds.
- Remove the Blinds: Deep cleaning your vertical blind will require you to remove each screen from the headrail. This is usually the first step, and it is pretty easy, thanks to the pattern used to couple them. All you need to do is unhook or unclip each screen from the top and bottom.
- Wash the Blinds: After taking out each screen, wash them carefully with warm soapy water. Note that the water must not be hotter than 30°C, and the detergent should be soft to avoid damaging the screens.
- Clean the Headrail: You don’t want to be fixing your clean screens on a dirty rail, so the next step involves cleaning the headrail. You can do this with a clean damp cloth to ensure the removal of tough dust stains.
- Allow to Dry: After washing the screens, lay them flat on a clean surface to dry. This would also allow the headrail time to dry out too. Avoid putting the screens in a dryer, as it can make them shrink.
- Reinstall Blinds: After the cleaning process is over, the final step involves reinstalling the clean, dry screens on the headrail. This step is also straightforward since you only have to clip or rehang them, and you are good to go.
ConclusionWhile regular cleaning is essential, deep cleaning is a must if you want your vertical blinds to remain functional for long. This article has highlighted everything you need to know about cleaning your vertical blinds and how to make the most of it.